Sunday, May 8, 2005

Beck’s “Guero” album-the 2nd listening

GueroA few weeks ago, I picked up Beck's "Guero." It was hailed by many critics as a throwback to his 1996 album "Odelay." On my website, I confessed that it was good, but it didn't jump out at me, but it would take me a couple of spins to get into it. Well, I took it for a second spin, and it totally sucked me in.

It's a great album. Like "Odelay," it is peppered with well-conceived samples and stellar production from The Dust Brothers. Unlike "Odelay," he has a wider array of guest musicians helping him out. Not just his normal back-up band (featuring, among others, keyboard whiz Roger Manning, Jr. from Jellyfish), but Jack White of the White Stripes and multi-instrumentalist/vocalist Petra Haden (who did an all a capella version of "The Who Sell Out" earlier this year) come in and lend a hand. The results are as sprawling as "Odelay" is, from the catchy pop of "Girl" and the funky electronica of "Hell Yes" to the earthy, late night cool of "Black Tambourine. The strongest cut on the album is "Rental Car," simply because it's a whirling dervish of a song that is more befitting of a listen rather than a spewing of copy here.

That's the odd thing that I've noticed about Beck more than any other artist. Each one of his albums has needed to grow on me, but when they do, they hook into me pretty deeply. Turns out "Guero" is no exception.

4 comments:

  1. Still trying to get into the groove of it...found too many other albums lately that are superior to it. Still prefer Midnite Vultures over all the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been able to get into Guero yet. I have the same problem with most of Beck's stuff. Midnite Vultures is my favorite so far. That one was the most "immediately accessible" to me. I haven't given up on Guero, though. I'll try it again later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I said on Rich's site, this new Beck will grow on you. Just keep listening! I'm also surprised that all you Beatles fans never mention "Mutations". It's another great Beck album. You really need to check it out! And did anyone notice that Scott's got Beck tix for sale? Go see him live, he's a true entertainer...you will NOT be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Picked up Guero last week, when I did not find the Eels. What a mixed bag this album is. Nothing seems off limits. It has taken me a while to dig deeply into it, but as I have I have found myself thinking of relaxing with a mint julep on a plantation in the deep south. Not sure why, but the mix of laid back groove and up tempo beats just makes me want to sit back drink and groove. Then again maybe I just need a drink and an afternoon to relax.

    ReplyDelete