Sunday, May 29, 2005

Procupine Tree - Deadwing

DeadwingAfter a few recommendations, I picked up 2002's In Absentia and was impressed. Now with the release of Porcupine Tree's Deadwing I would really call myself a fan. The album is a creative combination of Dream Theater guitar work, Coldplay style contemplative melody, and lyrical explorations worthy of either of the Anderson's, Ian or Jon. What impresses me the most is the smooth competence with which these various musical sources are folded into each other. Excellent craftsmanship is evident as songs move from the crunch of guitars to moments of tranquil reflection. This is an album and a band that is worth a listen. Pull out you headset sit back and take it all in, there is enough depth to keep you digging for days.

In AbsentiaIn Absentia (2002)

1 comment:

  1. This is my new favorite band (this month anyway)! Thanks for introducing me to these guys, Dave. I love "In Absentia" (2002) and am starting to get into "Deadwing". I think these guys might be the result of a collision between all my favorite genres of music.

    ReplyDelete