Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Gentle Art of Making Enemies

This really does not qualify as news since the observation that I am about to make comes straight out of material that is 12 years old, however the other day I was listening to some Faith No More. Not the usual suspects like Angel Dust or The Real Thing, rather I was listening through King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime (great title). Just four tracks in, I came across The Gentle Art of Making Enemies (again great title). A minute into the song, I had to start it over. I had to know if I caught that right. You see the thought that occurred to me as I made my commute out to the IE was that this song, it could be argued, might well be the source material for the sound of System of a Down. The way in which they change tempo, moving from in your face metal to melodic subtleties and back without much warning as to when those switches are coming. Now again, I stress that this is not news, just a late observation I made while trying to distract myself from the boredom of my morning commute.

(post written by dcedave)

No comments:

Post a Comment