Sunday, September 10, 2006

Butch and I: Old Pals

Ok, this is weird. In the last post I mentioned that I was going to see Butch Walker in concert this Tuesday night. No big deal. I'm excited because I'm thinking that this will be the first time I see him since being turned on to his solo career back in 2004. I was late to the game on his previous band, the Marvelous 3, not learning about them until after the release of their last album. So for the past two years I'm playing catch up on an artist who I thought was new to me. I heard about even earlier bands that Butch was in like Floyd's Funk Revival and an L.A. glam metal group called Southgang.

Here's what I didn't know until my friend Scott filled in some missing details: Back on Oct. 13, 1989, I hung out with Butch Walker and the other two guys from the Marvelous 3 crammed together in the same booth at the Roxy on the Sunset strip.

As it turns out, the name Southgang was not the original name of that particular band. On Oct. 13, 1989, they were headlining the Roxy as "Byte the Bullet" and Scott's sister was dating the lead singer (whom a quick Google search tells me was Jesse Harte - the one guy in the group who did not go on to be a Marvelous 3). So she got us in for free and... we hung out.

Maybe if I print out the flyer and show it to the right people at the concert this Tuesday, Butch might get a little nostalgic and we can hang out again.
Byte the Bullet

No comments:

Post a Comment